1. Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community! Register / Login

ZMOD AUTOBEACON GOOD OR BAD??

Discussion in 'Counter Strike: Source' started by Salt, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Salt

Salt Member

I've been getting multiple complaints about how the new beacon alters how players play in ZMOD. It's either just growing pains or it may need to be altered. I've seen couple players turn away from the Server because of it and thought it should be discussed.

2. Riptide

Riptide Resident beta tester Member

I dont like it because it takes away the stealth option of maps. If i leave to go pee, ill get found and killed. if i want to snipe i cant do it descretely. You also cant hide as props. I know that woody said you are not supposed to hide as props and people spend a while looking but it is a nice change because its not just tugging at a barrier. I cant even camp at the top of the building to knife zombies without it going off and giving away my position. The beacon is like saying you have to play zombie mod a particular way as opposed to having an open server where you have caders, hiders and people running around. Even while typing this out ive had the beacon turn on 7+ times.

The whole sneaking and passive aversion aspect is gone. Someone brought up the possibility of a vote at the beginning of each map to have it or not. Which i think could be an appropriate step if not take it away entirely.

can we also move this to server suggestions so others can comment

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Salt

Salt Member

Maybe admins can be given the option to turn it on or off? or even be able to put up a vote for it.

4. Woody

Woody Administrator Founder

Inventory:

The beacon will stay for now. I've reduced the sound of the beacon so it is not an annoyance and can be lowered more if need be.

When I originally designed the store with props as models, invisibility, and mini me they were not meant to increase the persons ability to hide, which the majority of players do with these enhancements. It has severely effected the gameplay of the server and although you may enjoy it from time to time most new players I found do not. They leave when the gameplay becomes stale and uninteresting due to the hiding of multiple players.

As of right now I've watched "hiding" destroy the gameplay and clear out the server multiple times. As stated in the MOTD you are not to delay the game in any way, whether it be hiding in props, or just hiding in general.

The gameplay should be fast paced and exciting not a hide and seek match, we have a hide and seek server for that. Once again the server is not hide and seek, but zombie mod. Designed for teamwork and barricading. As quoted from the zombie mod developer: "Key factors for surviving should be aiming skill and teamwork."

You can read his whole post here if you'd like: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpost.php?p=2176101&postcount=4

Another option I could add instead to combat this issue, would be to have store items expire. So your invisibility/models/mini me would expire every few weeks/month and you would have to rebuy it. Many servers already have this implemented in their store.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

I agree with everything you stated completely.

I also want to add I use to play Zmod with one of the most known players "SilverApple" was a member of ours for a long time. The best times of playing Zmod were the actual challenges that came upon you as a zombie itself trying to break into a cade or use the parachute and crouch spam to get into hard to reach places. For a CT to just hide and or camp a spot to me ruins the actual gameplay and what ZMOD is all about. Heck back when we first started we "HAD" a respectful rule that if you were the last ct alive to beacon yourself. Why camp or hide and make everyone else wait and prolong the game. THAT is what kills the server all together people are very impatient and want to continue to play not sit and wait for time to run out. So I agree with Woody that this should stay implemented to balance the server out on those that want to just camp it out.

Also not to bust balls on you riptide, but I seen you saying about if you have to take a piss you're afraid to return being a zombie or being killed. There's spectate for that reason if you go afk that is your own fault honestly. Just saying :)

6. Boosted

Boosted Admіn Monitor Manager Community Manager

I also do agree with Woody . Only thing I can see him changing it to is maybe if it got so bad to lower it to the last 3 humans , but then that would also be bad when there are hardly any players on and someone is trying to set up a cade and bam the zombies are already there . I just see it as this will make you all better zmod players . You will always have to be on your toes . LOVE THE IDEA

7. Drac OPZ

Drac OPZ All the Above and Beyond Community Manager

Yup makes perfect sense to me as I said above. You also made valued points.

8. Homer J. Simpson

Homer J. Simpson Former member

See my comments to you in the PM.

9. Riptide

Riptide Resident beta tester Member

I think woody has made some very good points and he brought even more up to me in private chat. I think some of us may be getting a little upset just to see a fairly large change. I am especially guilty of this

• Like Like x 1
  10. Homer J. Simpson

Homer J. Simpson Former member

I too took the conversation private. I see why but had to note something to him.